Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July

                 

The US flag @ Our Place

Happy 4th of July!  
Wishing all my American friends a fabulous holiday.  
We're flying the American flag and have hung our swagged bunting because I never want Izzy to forget her heritage.  It's school holidays so we'll be celebrating with hotdogs, hamburgers, coleslaw, potato salad and lemonade and asking friends in the street to join us.  Australians don't really get the whole street party thing, its a shame!  No doubt Izzy & I will watch an American girl movie, I hope she picks Kit Kittredge! 

2 comments:

  1. Mel@Georgica pondJuly 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM

    There is something so picturesque and inspiring about the star-spangled banner flying in the breeze and draped across pretty painted houses, and you don't have to be American to appreciate it. I don't mean to sound unpatriotic but the green and gold just doesn't quite do it for me in the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it doesn't sound unpatriotic. I fly the Australian flag proudly on Austrlia Day, it's just that we haven't been brought up like Americans to have that wonderful national pride. You know Americans instil that in children from pre-school - I don't know but I bet Aussie kids can't sing the national anthem and name states and capitals in pre K, please tell me if I'm wrong! I've always said that personally I think this is the best country in the world.

    ReplyDelete